Monday, November 1, 2010

How to handle delayed solids?

I am not going to site the "experts" who say that it is best to exclusively breastfeed your baby until they are at least 6 months. I am not going to spout about how solids are not necessary.

I actually would be on the other end of things, if only my kids agreed. I have tried rice cereal with Dylan ~ she is less than impressed. I have gave her butternut, buttercup and acorn squash with less than warm reviews. She merely tolerates it. We tried applesauce with lukewarm reviews. I have tried bananas now twice. Not nasty store canned baby food bananas, but real bananas pureed. She refuses to eat.

Now I know at 5.5 months, I am not "delaying" solids, not by definition anyway. However, in the eyes of a few choice family members we would be.
'because I started my kids on cereal at 2 weeks old to help them sleep because I had to. I was a working mom.' ~Yes, I have heard that before.

However, it is easier said than done. Taylor had a gag reflex until 9 months that she gagged and usually puked on everything. She puked on Chocolate, yet that did not stop a family member from giving it to her every chance she got. (Really?!)

So, Dylan is her own person and different than Taylor. She can tolerate textures. I have actually yet to buy any store bought baby food (except the rice cereal). She does appear to have lost the tongue thrust reflex recently. However... it is hard as a Mom to keep trying baby foods without any success. So, really I don't. Call me a bad Mom, but I know my baby is not starving!

I guess what I am hoping for is someone to tell me how I can handle the words I know I will get for not feeding my baby "real" food. Can I also voice that I am the only person in this side of the family to breastfeed their children. I am also weird for that - then probably seen as a Oregonian hippy for baby wearing all the time.... and now this. :o) I guess my babies just love for us to be different!

1 comment:

  1. Although I did some pureed food, and we spoon feed some things to the babies, I heard a podcast on the theory of Baby led weaning and it made a lot of sense. At almost 10 months the babies eat everything that we do, and enjoy it. http://babyledweaning.blogware.com/blog/_archives/2006/7/13/2109025.html

    I do still buy them puffs for snacking and out and about, but otherwise they eat (and self feed) what we eat.

    ReplyDelete