Saturday, October 17, 2009

Busy Morning!

Well, we have an apple tree in our backyard. We don't have much of a backyard other than our deck and hidious bushes on two sides of the yard.... But we have an apple tree. My darling husband threatened to take it out because of picking up apples every time he mows, but I want the tree. Two years now we have gotten tons of apples. Wade finally picked the apples off the tree. I say finally because it froze several nights before he felt like getting around to it. He also left overnight when the apples were ready which they got snowed on instead of picked. :o) Odd sight!

So, this morning I was faced with a HUGE bag of apples (we have given some away!). I started to tackle them to get them out of my kitchen. I canned 10 quarts of unsweetned applesauce and 5 quarts of apple pie filling. If you are my friend, just let me know and you can have some! I should add that we also canned 14 quarts of apple pie filling last week. I am hoping to can 5 more quarts of apple pie filling tomorrow morning (if I can bribe the girls to be good again), then probably just make applesauce with the rest.

Here is a small amount of what I did:

So, while I was finishing the last of the apples, it was approaching lunch time. I asked Alex who just turned 4 if she wanted to make lunch for me. I gave her mini bagels, tomato sauce, cheese, olives and turkey pepperoni.
This is the first lunch she has ever made:



I thought it was good. That said, tomoto based products still are making me gag. Yes, I did gag after I ate this. The girls ate the cheese and olives off and were done. I am super-duper envious of Moms who have good eating kids. I think that if the eldest eats well, then the younger sibling follows suit. In my case, the eldest is a terrible eater and at times this behavior is influenced on my younger one. One meal that Alex generally eats is McDonald's Chicken Nuggets. She will eat 4-5 with no problem - however she does not eat like that AT McDonald's - just when I take it home. *Sigh!*

She was 37 lbs and 41.25 inches at her 4 yo appt though. They told me she was 75% for both height and weight. She has gained 4 lbs since her ear infection in May.

3 comments:

  1. I think you are having a boy! I could not eat tomato anything with my boys. With the girls I was fine with all but Little Caesars Pizza. NOw I can eat ANYTHING...and a lot of it! I'd be happy to take snowsuits off your hands:) And along with those, I'll take a quart of apple pie filling:) Will you be at Moms Club on Wednesday? I'm planning on being there, work is actually cooperating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are both definitely considered friends!
    I should add that my MIL took the rest of the apples, so I will do about 5 more quarts tomorrow and the apples are GONE!

    ReplyDelete