Saturday, August 21, 2010

My first 5k!

So, I accomplished my goal. Please pass the doritos, pizza, donuts and ice cream please!

I ran a 5k this morning that I planned for less than 24 hours. It was the Miles for Smiles run to benefit pink scarf and the Bismarck cancer center.

I bribed my Sister in law (by paying her fee) to walk the race pushing Dylan in the stroller. Her wonderful husband allowed me to drop my other girls off at his house to lounge and watch cartoons with their two kids. The only foul was that Taylor peed on the bathroom floor, her pants and panties trying to go potty there. I did provide breakfast for them making the struessel banana muffins I blogged about here. I also made homemade granola bars. These were awesome. I made them yesterday and there is barely any left! The kids all LOVE them!

Okay, back to the run... I jogged the whole time repeating to myself as I was passed many, many times that time does not matter because I have a 3 months old. I have never ran a 5k, much less 3 months and 6 days after I had a baby. I had my heart rate monitor on but tried not to pay attention to it and tried to push myself.... I ran 20 minutes of the race with my heart rate above 85%. It took me about 33 minutes to complete the race (5.5 mph - not too bad!). Of course, I was second or third from the end of the runners - but I did it! I have the Friends of Youth race in a month that is put on with the Bismarck marathon. I would love to finish it in less than 30 minutes, so that is what I have to strive for over the next month.


I celebrated my success this morning by taking my three angels grocery shopping at Wal-Mart (after I showered, started laundry and gave the girls a snack). We then went to Wendy's drive thru for lunch which I had the new Apple Pecan chicken salad. It was great! I inhaled it I was so hungry... The website says that it is 580 calories, which is a little more than my normal salad I make for lunch... still GREAT! After, I unloaded groceries, put them away, emptied the dishwasher, loaded the dirty dishes into the dishwasher (and hand washed a few), emptied the trash, switched laundry and picked up clothes that we took this morning.

I am exhausted. I will close my giving myself this:

Not because I think I did super, duper excellent. Not because I beat a few people in my run. But because I jogged the whole thing and I accomplished a 5k after 3 kids (one who is just 3 months!).

2 comments:

  1. Wow! What a fantastic time! I think you are about the same speed as me, lady! You should really haul yourself to the Y and be my running partner:)

    Thank you so much for the note! I miss seeing you! We really need to meet at the park or something SOON!

    ReplyDelete