Saturday, August 14, 2010

New recipes!

So, I have made a commitment to be healthier, so I went through an old issue of Healthy Cooking Magazine to pull recipes. (My Grandma bought us Taste of Home subscriptions and when she passed, my Mom decided that with her inheritance it was her roll to pay for my and my sister's subscriptions, but switched to Light & Tasty which later changed to Healthy Cooking.)
Here are a few that we have made in the past few days. Wheat Germ Streusel Banana Muffins - this got top reviews from all of us. I have to admit that I could not find wheat germ, so I skipped it - but the streusel is the best part! Fruited Mixed Greens Salad - to my surprise this was actually liked well by my kids too!!! They did not like the walnuts, and Taylor did not like the rasperries, but they ate it better than I expected! I did add a chicken breast to Wade's and mine and split one between the girls. I didn't want it to be a side but a meal.
Tonight, I made the Texan Ranch Chicken Casserole which was a big flop in my house. Taylor refused to touch it, Alex ate 3 bites and asked if she could be done.... Then they ate a yogurt instead....
Much to my husband's dismay, I picked all of my recipes for this month (or I should say, pay period - I plan meals & shop every 2 weeks) from this magazine. My goal was to keep dinner about 400 calories so I can lose weight. So far, so good. Today I slacked from running but was down to 187 (17 PG lbs to go!) and probably 22 to my goal and 10 weeks to do it.

Here are a few other light recipes we throw into rotation:
http://halfmysize.com/index.php/recipes/cheesy-chicken-macaroni-cheese-casserole
http://halfmysize.com/index.php/recipes/crockpot-cheesy-chicken-spaghetti
http://halfmysize.com/index.php/recipes/broccoli-cheese-tater-tot-casserole

No comments:

Post a Comment